Fellow Yawgoog Alumni,
As I write my Spring Belltower letter watching the snow fall for hopefully the last time this year, my thoughts turn to Yawgoog as it begins to bloom for the first season of its second centennial. Yes, the 101st camping season will soon be upon us, as will the conclusion of our centennial celebrations.
Throughout this edition of the Belltower, there will be reminders of this summer’s culminating events. I would like to summarize them here and ask that you mark your calendar to allow your participation:
Saturday, May 21st – Yawgoog Alumni Day of Service
- Please join us for the second annual Day of Service. Last year we built 30 picnic tables that were used throughout the camp. This year, we’ll be building 70 two boy bunks; and yes they are the same as you remember!
Yawgoog’s Centennial Season Homecoming Weekend (July 29 – 31)
Friday, July 29th – Opening Cocktail Reception at Chelo’s on the Waterfront
- Entertainment by the US Navy Northeast Band, memorabilia displays, and an address by Ms. Gillian Clay (Granddaughter of Lord Baden Powell)
Saturday, July 30th – Yawgoog Homecoming Reunion
- 9:00 – 12:00 – All program centers are open for alumni participation
- 9:30 – The Dave Anderson Memorial 5K and Fun Run
- 12:00 – 4:00 – Remembering Yawgoog includes a gathering of alumni at Donald North Court, visits with Ms. Gillian Clay, and dedication of the Cotell Memorial Flagpole and the Yawgoog 100th Walkway
- 5:00 – 9:00 – Catered dinner, special awards and the Saturday Night Show
Sunday, July 31st
- 9:00 – Religious Worship Services with the Most Reverend Thomas J. Tobin (Bishop, Diocese of Providence) celebrating mass at the St. John Bosco Chapel
- 11:30 – 12:30 – Chief Yawgoog’s Famous Chicken BBQ
- 12:30 – 1:30 – Sunday Dress Parade
I hope you all mark your calendars and make every effort to join us for Yawgoog’s Centennial Season Homecoming Weekend!
Here are my final thoughts on what you can do to support our wonderful camp:
- Join the Yawgoog Alumni Association and make an additional donation to the Project Fund or the Staff Scholarship Fund
- Make a donation to the Yawgoog 100th Endowment and memorialize your support with an engraved brick on the Donald North Court Walkway
- Join us for Yawgoog’s Centennial Season Homecoming Weekend
Yours in Scouting, Jim . . .